- Installation / Setup
• Top and bottom removable straps which can be adjusted depending on the activity
• Open patella design to reduce pressure on the kneecap
• Flexible side stabilizers for additional lateral support
• None at this time as the knee sleeve is new on the market
Nowadays, there are so many different types and brands of knee sleeves to pick from, that it’s not always easy to choose the right one for your situation, especially if you have never worn one before. But don’t worry, we are here to help you. In this article, we are going to cover that information, as well as introduce SimplyJnJ’s latest product, their Open Patella Knee Sleeve. We finally got our hands on one and have tested it out for a couple of weeks. Let me tell you, we were not disappointed. If you are interested in learning more about knee sleeves and specifically how this one can help, keep reading.
Knee sleeves – Why Use Them?
Well, knee sleeves provide compression, support, and stability, and are typically used by people who suffer from minor to medium knee pain and still want to continue their day-to-day activities that require a lot of knee movement (sports, jogging, walking, squatting, driving for long periods of time, etc.). The main benefits of knee sleeves are the compression, which helps to facilitate proper blood flow as well as the added warmth, which makes you feel more comfortable and helps to alleviate knee pain due to arthritis and other causes.
Keep in mind that knee sleeves are available in various shapes and sizes. Some are uniquely designed to support specific activities such as weightlifting as well as other rigorous sports activities, while others are great for regular day-to-day activities as we mentioned above. Most knee sleeves out there can be placed into one of these categories:
- Open knee sleeves – these have a hole at the front which makes them ideal for reducing the pressure on the kneecap and allows the knee to breathe.
- Closed knee sleeves – supports the entire knee and allows more heat retention.
- Inbuilt stabilizers – these knee sleeves have side stabilizers which provide added lateral (sideways) support.
For more information on the benedits of knee sleeves, refer to our post What Are The Best Knee Sleeves And Do They Really Help? Now, we are going to talk about one of our favorite knee sleeves, SimplyJnJ’s Open Patella Knee Sleeve.
SimplyJnJ Open Patella Knee Sleeve Review
The great thing about this knee sleeve is that it combines the benefits of the different types of sleeves we talked about above, into one amazing product. The features that make this knee sleeve unique include:
- High-quality material – This product is made of high-quality neoprene material, which is not only breathable but also has 4 additional air flow vents in the back. (One common problem with other knee sleeves is the accumulation of sweat in the back of the knee. This products takes care of that.) It is also lightweight and compact so you can bring it wherever you go and it’s extremely easy to wash.
- Compression – The compression increases the blood flow to the surrounding muscles, which minimizes the pain and allows your knee stay warm and less strained even when you are performing a grueling workout routine.
- Adjustable/removable Velcro straps – Unlike most knee sleeves, this one comes with a top and bottom Velcro strap, which is a great idea because you can adjust the knee sleeve to be tighter or looser depending on the level of the activity. Another bonus is that it is also removable, so you can take them off whenever they are not needed.
- Open patella design – Does a great job at reducing the pressure on your kneecap, while still providing great support and stability when bending your knee.
- Side stabilizers – Another feature that we like about this product is that it has flexible side stabilizer stays, which gives you a bit more lateral support. (Is it enough to take a hit while playing football? Not at all, but that extra little bit of support is still better than not at all.)
- Bonus resistance band kit and eBook – Every purchase comes with a bonus set of 3 resistance bands (light, medium, heavy) and an eBook which has a series of exercises that you can do to help develop the muscles around knee, which can hopefully help reduce the pain in the long run.
This knee sleeve is available in three sizes which includes a small size (36cm – 43cm), medium size (43cm – 49cm), and large size (49cm – 55cm). Unfortunately, if you have an oversized knee, you may have to look elsewhere for now. When I spoke to one of the company reps, they recommended that if your size lands in between two sizes, you should pick the larger size. Although compression is a good thing, you don’t want to overdo it. If your sleeve is too tight, it can be extremely uncomfortable to wear for longer periods of time.
I realize that I haven’t really touched on any of the negative aspects of the sleeve. Unfortunately, I can’t really say that there are any at the moment. Because the sleeve just came on the market, I can’t really comment on things like durability and wear and tear for now, so I only ranked them as a 4 out of 5 until we know more. I will update the rating when I know more.
The Bottom Line
This is a great knee sleeve and totally worth every penny. If you are suffering with a mild to medium level of knee pain but don’t have any serious ligament issues (tears, etc.), then this could be a great option for you.
Available at Amazon, eBay or directly from SimplyJnJ.