Knee bands, which are also called “patellar straps”, and/or “Jumpers knee straps”, are essentially straps that wrap around your knee, underneath your kneecap. The main purpose of knee bands is to limit the movement of the patella (kneecap) and reduce the load going through it and the patella tendon. They work by putting pressure on the tendons in a way that restores proper alignment.
Situations Where Knee Bands Can Help
Knee bands have been proven to help with several knee related conditions, such as:
- Patella tracking -- This refers to the alignment/movement of the kneecap. If you have unsupported or weak tendons, it can lead to pain in the kneecap area.
- Patellar tendonitis -- This condition is also called “Jumper’s knee.” and refers to the condition where the patellar tendon is overstressed. Left untreated, this condition can lead to sprains. Symptoms general include pain after physical activity or pain during physical activity.
- Osgood Schlatters Disease (OSD) -- This condition affects many younger adolescents and generally develops during a growth spurt. Common symptoms of Osgood Schlatters Disease include pain & swelling under the knee, pain that tends to get worse when playing sports or other physical activities, and limping after running.
- Bursitis -- Irritation caused by inflamed bursa sacs. These sacs enable friction-less movements for tendons across the bone. When tendons unnecessarily move across these sacs they can become inflamed. See our blog post Beating Bursitis for additional information.
How Knee Bands Can Help
Popular Knee Bands
Although there is a wide range of good knee bands available on the market, you will often hear of the following because they are well known for helping with the issues we listed above.
Pro Band Sports Kneedit Knee Support
This knee strap is made of extremely durable neoprene, one size fitting most. This strap is a popular choice because it delivers quick knee pain relief by absorbing some of the load to the knee and providing Anatomically Focused Dynamic Compression to the soft tissues in the area located in the front of the knee. (Note: There is also a magnetic version of the Kneedit knee band. Refer to our KneedIT XM Magnetic Knee Strap Review to find out more.)
- Athletic therapy device designed to aid in relief and prevention of pain associated with repetitive stress injuries, arthritis, tendinitis, and chondromalacia
- Gently applies pressure, absorbs force, and provides warmth along medial and lateral soft tissues of the knee
- Provides pain relief by gently absorbing force at the knee, and exerting Anatomically Focused Dynamic Compression across soft tissues in front of knee
Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Strap
This band is a fan-favorite and is considered a “dual action” strap because it secures the patella above and below. It’s extremely comfortable to wear, easy to take off and put on and can be worn on top or below clothes.
- MAXIMUM SUPPORT & MOBILITY - Patented design provides maximum support above and below the kneecap without restricting movement. The ideal product for support to reduce pain and mobility to keep you...
- IMPROVED KNEE PERFORMANCE - Additional strengthening occurs in this all-around knee support by applying pressure on the tendon above the kneecap, reducing forces of the quadriceps on the patella...
- OFTEN WORN FOR - Patellar tendonitis, distance runners, walking down stairs, unilateral knee replacement, torn PCL, osteoarthritis, Osgood Schlatter disease, pain above/below the knee and other...
Ipow Fully Adjustable Support Strap Band
Gently applies pressure, absorbs force, and provides warmth along medial and lateral soft tissues of the knee. Another popular choice.
- Shock-absorbing & Knee Pain Relief - Segmented fix design can make adjustment according personal knees’ curves to supply better protection of patella, and do make a difference for your knee.
- Full Adjustable & One Size Fits All - Double Knot Design, fully adjustable strap offered flexibility to make adjustment for tightness, fits for sizing of 10-18 inches in circumference.
- Comfortable & Stay in Place - Adapted high quality raw materials and standardized production techniques, soft and breathable fabric with smooth edges and fine stitches make you wear without any...
If you have any of the issues we talked about above, it may be time to consider a knee band. They are inexpensive and usually provide quick relief. The great thing about knee bands is that they are designed for all day use and generally tend to last a long time. Just keep in mind that before you go down this road, always check with your doctor to make sure they are on board with you using one.
Disclaimer – I am not a doctor and I am not qualified to provide medical advice. This was posted for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Read full disclaimer.
Please go to our SHOP page for a list of available knee braces and other products.